I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Friday 24 June 2011

Day 9 - Sawing Timber and Planing to Size

Don't be fooled by the date on this post - day 9 was actually yesterday. Spent half a day spent ripping long lengths of 100 x 50 mm timber into smaller sections and then planing it to the required sizes. This is an awkward job but the alternative of paying a timber merchant to do it is expensive. Here is how I did it. It's a bit hard to see on the photo but that is a 6 metre length of timber balanced on two roller stands. The orange device is my sawbench and beyond that are an old door on trestles and my workbench lined up to catch the timber on more rollers.


Heres the result: timber dressed to size for various parts of the boat. Also a dustbin full of sawdust and shavings! The old door and trestles making my outfeed table can be seen more clearly in this photo.


No comments: