I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Thursday 2 June 2011

Day 5 - Cut out the moulds

There isn't much to show for a day's work, the moulds are stacked against the wall. This was a tedious job that needed a lot of care and attention to accuracy because the shape of the finished boat depends on it. The mould shapes were transferred from the full size patterns. The pattern was laid on the sheet of ply and the mould shape pricked through. These marks were joined up using a thin batten to get a fair curve and then the mould cut out with a jigsaw. Eleven moulds times 30 minutes each equals a long days work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your molds look fantastic! I just cut mine out and after looking at your clean lines it seems like mine need to be cleaned up a bit.