I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 7 - Outer Stem and Transom

Here is the outer stem laminated on top of the inner stem over the same template as before. The backing board (with the water stain) is a piece of 25 mm thick MDF. Not my favourite material but it was in the scrap material pile so I used it. Once again I am reminded to buy more clamps!



The transom is in position. It was tricky to do this but it seems to be right. The batten gives a fair curve for the keelson and the sheer line is the correct height above the building frame so all should be well. The transom is made out of the same Oregon plank that was used for the stem laminations.



Last job for the day was to add bracing to the moulds at the stem and stern. The first two moulds at the stem have been braced and also the last two at the transom. The transom itself is also braced. The moulds in the middle will be held in place by a couple of temporary battens while the keelson and first few planks are fitted.


No comments: