I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Friday 24 June 2011

Day 11 - Fit and Glue Keelson to Stem and Transom

The keelson was tapered at both ends and fitted temporarily to check that the moulds were fair. Some slight adjustments were made and the transom shaped to suit. The bend at the stern was difficult to achieve so the keelson was split horizontally on the bandsaw. This first photo shows the join at the stem with a couple of clamps holding it until the glue sets.


At the stern the sawkerf, which runs from the end past the second frame, was filled with glue. Glue was applied to the mating surfaces at the transom and the keelson pulled down into place with the Spanish windlass. The keelson and transom joint has a screw to maintain alignment until the glue sets. The clamps are holding the saw kerf closed in places where it wanted to spring open. There is a prop between the keelson and the shed roof truss to hold the keelson down over the second frame; this will be removed for planking.

No comments: