I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Thursday 30 June 2011

Day 13 - Clamps, Knees and Scarph Joints

First job of the day was to cut about 70 clamps from 12.5 and 20 mm scrap plywood together with 70 wedges from other scrap timber. These will be used to clamp the edges of the planks together while the glue sets. Why 70? Roughly one clamp per 100 mm for 3.5 metres times 2 sides = 70. Here they all are:


Here is a photo showing how these clamps are used.


The boat has six laminated knees, two for each thwart and two quarter knees at the stern. The laminations are glued on formers, each slightly different. This next photo shows two of the knees on their formers. I glued up the second lot of three knees today because I will need all my clamps to glue down the garboard planks in the next couple of days.


The boat is planked with 6 mm plywood and I have chosen to scarph joint the 8 foot x 2 foot sheets of ply before cutting out the planks. The alternative is to scarph the planks after cutting the out, either on the bench or on the boat. This seems to be more difficult to me. Here are the four sheets of ply positioned on the bench ready for the scarph to be planed. The "staircase" is planed off at an angle then the top two sheets are turned over and glued to the bottom two sheets.


The glue has been applied, the joints lined up and held in place with a couple of staples. Note the newspaper in the photo below - hopefully this will stop the sheets sticking to each other, to the bench or to the clamping caul.


The caul on top of the sheets has a slight curve in its lower face so that, as the clamps bend it, a more even pressure is applied to the glue joint. The two props from the roof truss apply a little more pressure to the caul.


 

No comments: