I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Wednesday 31 August 2011

Day 35 - Buoyancy Compartment and Sternsheets

I have glued the ply covers on the aft buoyancy compartment after painting all of its inside with two coats of epoxy. The round plastic screw top hatches are a bit ugly so I made a ply cover for the lid. The photo below shows the cover; I will add a strip of wood across it to serve as a handle. The quarter knees, laminated and shaped some time ago, have now been glued in place. The photo also shows the sternsheets shaped but not finished yet. These will be screwed in place so they can be removed if necessary.

To the left of the photo one of the floors (stiffens the hull and supports the floorboards) is visible. These are shaped to fit the inside of the hull and glued in place. There are 7 of these and most of them have been shaped. I will finish the rest and glue them in over the next couple of days. The parts that fit to the inside of the hull are tricky to clamp while the glue sets but a way will be found!

No comments: