I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Wednesday 3 August 2011

Day 30 - Hull Sealed With Epoxy

After a final vacuum and wipe over with a cloth moistened with acetone I gave the whole of the hull a coat of epoxy. I am using West Systems epoxy and their advice was strongly against thinning the epoxy so it went on neat. I brushed it on and found that it went on fairly easily. I made up small batches, each enough for about 1/8th of the total area, and washed the brush out in acetone after each batch.

I gave it two coats with the second applied when the first reached the end of the tacky stage. I was very lucky with the second coat - I almost ran out of epoxy! There were about three brushloads of the last batch left when I had finished.

Here are a couple of photos, the second coat is still wet.


No comments: