I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Friday 5 August 2011

Day 31 - Three Coats of Primer

The boat has been four different colours today! It started out with the clear epoxy sealing coat. This was sanded gently, mainly to provide a key for the next layer of paint but also to flatten out the craters left by the bubbles where air came out of the wood under the epoxy.

The primer I used is Aquacote, a water based high build two part epoxy paint intended to build up a thick layer that can be sanded back to a smooth surface. The instructions on the label say to apply a thick layer at a rate of of 3 - 5 square metres per litre and follow this with a second coat when the first is tacky. I can't put paint on thick so I gave it three coats. The outside of the boat is around 6 or 7 square metres and I used 1 litre of paint per coat. By this reckoning the primer isn't thick enough but hopefully it will sand out flat.

The paint in the can is off white so the first coat went on that colour. I tinted the second and third coats pink and blue so I could see where I was putting them during the painitng. I will also be able to see how much paint is left during the sanding.

Here's a photo of the third (blue) coat going on. Don't be upset by the colour scheme, it is going to be covered up!

No comments: