I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Friday 22 July 2011

Days 23 and 24 - Patches, Outer Stem and Rubbing Strakes

Day 23 spent on various jobs with no photos taken. The strips were fitted at the stem to correct the error mentioned in the last post. The outer stem was shaped to be a good fit against the inner stem and its sides were bevelled. I rough sawed and planed the timber for the gunwales - 5 metre lengths of timber are not easy to handle!

On day 24 the outer stem and rubbing strakes were glued in place. This photo show the outer stem in position. The green strip is a ratchet tie down used to hold the stem in position while the epoxy goes off. The photo also shows the strip, on top of the third plank down, patching up the error with the planking. I think the result will be OK but would rather have got it right first time.


The rubbing strakes are in place held by temporary screws until the glue sets. The screws will be removed and the holes plugged.


No comments: