I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Wednesday 20 July 2011

Days 20 and 21 - Even More Planks

Two days fitting the fifth and sixth planks. There is only one more to go but that's tomorrow's job. Here is a photo after the fifth plank.


And another showing the pattern being taken for the sixth plank.


The pattern material is 3mm MDF which is good because it is cheap. However, it is not very rigid and can easily be deformed which would result in an inaccurate pattern. This can be worked around by taking more care but next time I will use thicker MDF or maybe try a cheap plywood. This is also the last of the MDF so I will have to take mark out the shearstrake (seventh plank) directly without using a pattern.

Here is the boat with the sixth plank fitted.



No comments: