I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Thursday 21 July 2011

Day 22 - Fitted the Shearstrake

Well that's the last plank fitted and photgraphed. That's a major milestone for me. Still quite a lot to do before it can be turned over; I have to fit the outer stem, outer gunwales, rubbing strakes on the bilges, clean it all up and start the painting.


This photo shows the mistake I made with the third plank down from the keel. When making the pattern I picked up the wrong mark on the stem with the result that the third plank is too narrow and, to correct the situation the fourth plank is too wide. The only solution  that I can come up with is to add a strip to the upper edge of the second plank to make it wider. This will hopefully hide the uneven plank widths.

 

No comments: