I wanted a rowing boat in the style that I remember from my childhood in England and eventually decided to build one myself. After a lot of reading and web searching I chose an Iain Oughtred design, the Acorn 15. For a description of the Acorn 15 click here.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email


Friday 16 December 2011

It Floats!

There wasn't really any doubt in my mind about it floating and not leaking but it was good to see it float away from the trailer to the limit of its painter before I pulled it back in. First time out I rowed too far and ended up with some very sore muscles (but not where I expected to be sore). The next couple of outings I didn't overdo it and am gradually improving the hardware involved in rowing. A footrest (to brace the feet/legs against) appears to be important. The balance of the oars is important (there is now 800 grams of lead sheet wrapped around the inboard end of the oar).  Last on the list of improvements is my technique which is gradually improving (it's important to rest between strokes).

Third time out I managed to arrange a camera person and have some pics:




And, finally, a short video:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your whole blog and I must congratulate you for building a fine boat like this.

I'd love to build my own Acorn some day and you sir just gave me the motivation to actually do it.

Thanks.

Neal said...

Dave, great blog, wonderful build and your Acorn is just beautiful. I happily found your blog this morning and read it in its entirety and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm currently reading "How to Build Glued-Lapstrake Wooden Boats" and am considering the Acorn 12 for myself in a couple of years (after I finish the Harpsichord!). Thanks for documenting this process.

- Neal (Woburn, MA)